Skip to Content

Company News

Providing all the latest news regarding Ignite Gas Yorkshire.

Yorkshire firms team up in gas safety drive


11th September 2012

TWO of the leading names in Yorkshire's residential letting market are teaming up as part of Gas Safety Week to highlight the "life or death" dangers of badly-fitted appliances.

Specialist letting agents Linley & Simpson, who have nine Yorkshire branches, and Leeds-based Ignite Gas Care have drawn up a checklist to help tenants stay safe - and protect landlords from prosecution.

Gas Safety Week runs from Monday September 10 to September 17 and aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances.

"As a licensed agent, and a member of the SAFEagent scheme, gas safety is a top priority for us and we have a robust scheme in place to ensure our properties are regularly inspected and meet all the relevant criteria," said Linley & Simpson director, Will Linley.

"This is not always the case, particularly with unlicensed agents and individual landlords. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Every year scores of people across Yorkshire are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning."

Managing Director of Horsforth-based Ignite Gas Care, Jon Oldroyd, said: "The proper maintenance of gas appliances can really be a matter of life and death.

"Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas - you can't see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

"By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones."

He added: "It is vital that consumers only use Gas Safe registered engineers in any maintenance or servicing work. We are proud to support Gas Safety Week."

The companies have developed this checklist to help people stay safe:

  • Make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk
  • Always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card
  • Make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
  • Look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren't working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
  • Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • If you smell gas call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999

< back to news

Enquiry

* denotes required field

Enquiry Form
gas-safety-week
you-are-in-safe-hands

What our customers say

Ignite Gas provides a wide variety of gas related services to individual home-owners, companies, landlords, letting agents, Housing Associations and Local Authorities throughout the Yorkshire region.

  • Tony from Ignite was here (quite excellent again -they are brilliant, really) -he has sorted things out and will put it in his report to you.
    Warren January 2018
  • I want to thoroughly recommend Tony and Ignite. The company rang me immediately that morning and offered me a choice of times that day to help fit in with me. …
    Glenys Riddell January 2018
  • Just a bit of feedback, Charlie your engineer is so helpful and pleasant, he also explains things really well when he returns the keys. I know this sounds a …
    Christine October 2017
  • Thank you so much for that and please pass on to management how polite, helpful and totally competent Mark the engineer was, would totally recommend him and …
    Neil Slater October 2017
  • I want to write and express my great thanks to Tony Valentine for attending to the job at such short notice today. He was prompt, friendly and approachable and …
    Sun Park April 2017
  • I would just like to take this opportunity to say how great this experience has been considering we were without heating or hot water. Nick and the other …
    Mary Baulk April 2017
  • Many thanks for efficiently arranging this. Our boiler works perfectly now. Your guy was very prompt, courteous, effective and cleared up after himself very …
    B Posmyk March 2017
  • The tenants did note that your representative was really great, turned up on time, was really professional and even cleaned up everything afterwards - they …
    Tracey March 2017
  • Hi Jon, I just wanted to let you know how pleased Ross & I are with the service we receive from Ignite. We are using the portal whenever possible which is …
    Christine February 2017